Monitoring Software

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Monitoring Software

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 am

I'm planning to write a monitoring program that will receive serial data from the charger and make it easier for end users to see what's going on with the charger:

Items that I'm planning to include are:
  • Display cell voltage
  • Display current (charging or discharging)
  • Display Mode
  • Display a graph of current charge/discharge
  • A log of recent events - e.g. charging/discharging completed, etc.
  • Ability to control charger (4 cell version only due to limited flash on 2 cell version)
    • Set Mode
    • Set Charging/Discharging Current
    • Number of Cycles
    • Maximum capacity - safety limit
    • Upload byte code programs to EEPROM for execution
Somewhat unrelated, I'm planning to write a program for the PC to make it easy for end users to create programs that the charger can load via the SD card for both the 2 and 4 cell chargers.

Post a reply if you think I've missed anything!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: Monitoring Software

Post by Paul.Allen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 am

I already did a simple version of this using processing (Just the plotting) if you are interested I could send it your way. That being said I am sure you would look at my code and think "Oh Paul, This is all garbage" and want to redo it all anyways. I did try to make it pretty! : )

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:03 am

I haven't played with "Processing" so I'm not sure what it's like. It could well be easier to use it than Delphi for this type of thing...

Feel free to send it to me and I'll take a look at it!

Tcepsa

Post by Tcepsa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 am

As a Linux user, I have a strong preference for you to make it multi-platform, so using Paul's Processing-based code might be a good place to start (Processing is Java-based and runs pretty well on all three of the major OSes, I believe--though if Delphi also runs on all three it probably would be fine too)

Alternately, if your serial output isn't too fancy I can make myself a front end to display it , though it may have fewer bells and whistles

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am

I think we'll start with Paul's processing code and see what it's like first.

Recent versions of Delphi can compile for the Macintosh as well as Windows, but Linux isn't supported, so that's not really a good option for you. You could run the program under Wine or a virtual copy of Windows but neither option is all that great.

The serial output is exactly the same as what is written to the SD card, so you can just take a look at the details here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13

I've got my code setting the serial port to 9600 baud.

I don't think it's going to be that important to have this done before Paul starts sending out boards. Even if none of us get around to doing it, I think there's a good chance that one of the other backers will take enough interest to do it themselves and hopefully release their handiwork for the rest of us to use!