Feature Request: Unique Data Files

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Tcepsa

Feature Request: Unique Data Files

Postby Tcepsa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey all! I've been using 0.508 since a day or so after it came out and have done one analysis cycle and a couple of additional charges for around-the-house batteries that had run out of juice, and it's been working great so far. Nice work Mark!

One additional feature that would be really nice (though I realize that you're running low on Flash so it might not be possible) would be instead of always appending data to DATA.CSV, it would find the first unused name of DATA0000.CSV, DATA0001.CSV, DATA0002.CSV, etc. and write to that. I don't always remember to remove the DATA.CSV file between chargings (or if it aborts because it gets too warm or the cat knocks it off the shelf and it pulls out the USB cord from the charger :-p ) and it would be nice to not have to search for the spot where the latest data begins, or worry about pulling down the data every time.

Because it's not like you're already drowning in stuff to do `;-)`

Cheers,
Joel

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Unique Data Files

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 am

That is quite a good idea.

Unfortunately, simply adding in the SD.exists() function adds about 550 bytes to the compiled size, so I'm not sure if this is really going to be feasible with the current hardware - as nice as it would be.

I could possibly save some space by just trying to open each file until I find one that doesn't exist, but I'd expect this to be slower than just checking whether each file exists, so the charger could get bogged down whilst starting up if there were a lot of data files already on the SD card.

It might just be easier for me to create a quick and dirty command line program to split the file out for you - it would be quite easy to do by just checking for the header line and splitting the file whenever it's found. How does that sound?

Tcepsa

Postby Tcepsa » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am

The possibility that checking for the files makes sense. I'm wondering whether it would really take a noticeable amount of time to try to open up even a couple hundred files, but I'm not sure how to really profile that short of writing the code as you described, creating a bunch of empty data files, and measuring how long it takes to start charging when you put in a battery, which could be an interesting experiment but sounds like it might be a lot of hassle.

My initial response was going to be "don't bother with the file splitting program because I can do that myself--I've just been too lazy/busy up to this point". Then I realized that it might be a useful thing for other users as well, so yeah, if it's not too much trouble (or it's something that you want to do) then go for it! (Keep in mind that I'm on Linux, though, so if you write it in Windows I probably won't be able to use it. Others still would probably get value from it though!)

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:03 am

This could just be another feature of the monitoring program - it wouldn't be too hard to have it load data from a file as well as reading it from the serial port.

It could even make sense to just have a utility to filter out the intermediate data and show only the remaining lines - e.g. internal resistance check results, capacity results at the end of charging/discharging, etc.

Tcepsa

Postby Tcepsa » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 pm

I like those ideas! ^_^

Return to “Beta Testers”