Full Cycling data

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
JGSchubert

Full Cycling data

Postby JGSchubert » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 am

All,

Attached is a (now required) ZIP'd file of the CSV for a full cycle set (4 charges and discharges, as I understand) on my batt's #s 1 and 2. Further replies to this post from me will include subsequent sets of batteries of various ages and makes.

I did notice that this took quite a few hours. Not sure if the average user would want to wait that long to get a feel for the health of their batteries (although many of our users are expected to be 'battery afficionados' like Paul). But I expect that is where we recommend attaching larger external loads to complete at least the discharge part of the cycling faster? I also Paul is working on the 4-cell version (that also takes AAA perhaps?), which will have to have beefier charging circuits, and so an probably speed up charge time (for healthy batteries) some there also. I understand that there is a speed (read: amperage) that becomes unhealthy due to too much heating, etc. though. So not expecting miracles!

Starting the next set now...

-- Geoffrey
Attachments
CycleDATA_No1n2.zip
Sept 9 Full Cycle - Batts 1 and 2 - code v0508
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 391 times

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: Full Cycling data

Postby Paul.Allen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 am

This is why when you read the datasheets from battery manufactures, a lot of the times it will say test were preformed with a 1C discharge rate. It's because who really wants to wait forever when doing 200, 500 or even 1500 cycle test!?

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 am

Actually, with my code at the moment, an analyze will do the following process:

• Discharge
  • Charge
  • Discharge
  • Charge
A full discharge can take around 6 hours with the 3.9 resistor, so the whole process could take about 21 hours with the medium charge setting if the batteries start out full. Using the fast mode charging will speed it up by a couple of hours.

I'm thinking about changing it so that with the cycle mode does a charge, discharge, charge cycle with a quick button press. A longer press would add an extra cycle, (so charge, discharge, charge, discharge, charge) A long press would do a yet another discharge, charge cycle.

To get the same discharge, charge, discharge, charge cycle, I'm thinking of making that a function that you have to put it into the discharge position and hold the push button for a long press.

How does that all sound?

JGSchubert

Postby JGSchubert » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 am

Mark,

I like your idea of making the cycle function changes. This will help if a user puts in a 'suspect' battery that is probably already discharged (maybe quite a bit) to charge it up first. The option to start a cycle with a discharge with a button hold and specific switch position is nice. We must make all the functions easy to remember and fully document in a nice manual (perhaps I should start one? I am good at publishing-type projects - pamplets, newsletters, posters, etc.).

Attached is another set of 'cycle' data from my batteries #3 and #4. Looks like one was in better shape as it finished a charge faster than the other one at least once.

-- Geoffrey
Attachments
CycleData_No3n4.zip
Charge cycle on 'medium' speed, batts #3 and #4
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 387 times

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 am

If you could write up some documentation, that would be really good. I'll have to do up a bit of a table for you to work from.

With regards to those test results, they look pretty close to me, so I'd say that they're fairly well matched. The one that finished earlier is actually slightly lower capacity - lower capacity means less time to charge/discharge at a fixed rate.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 am

I am making up some images of all the different light colors so you can use them in what ever you make.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 am

Attached are some images that will be useful for creating any documentation. I threw in a word doc to show how I think we could handle patterns that involve flashing.
Attachments
Manual.zip
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 385 times

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am

Maybe someone could do some video guides to upload to Youtube, etc? That would show the flashing better than you could do in a Word document...

Might make sense to have both maybe?

JGSchubert

Postby JGSchubert » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:36 am

Okay, downloaded the images for use in manuals. Good idea to make videos also! I definitely can start on those once I have a short 'getting started' type pamphlet draft submitted for review by the group (esp. Paul of course!).

Should be working on this sometime tomorrow - might have a first quick draft by end of the day (Sunday).

Regards,

Geoffrey

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:43 am

I've just posted a new topic with details on how I'm planning to have it work with various length button presses:
http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30

You might want to keep that in mind with what you're working on.

Return to “Beta Testers”