Full Cycling data

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Re: Full Cycling data

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 am

Looks like it aborted the charge because the temperature reading hit the limit of 35 degrees.

Looking back, the temperature climbed about 4.5 degrees Celsius in around 10 seconds which seems unlikely unless someone blasted it with a hair dryer or something like that!

It doesn't seem to be a one off anomalous reading though - the temperature reading didn't just spike for one measurement but instead climbed rapidly. Also, the temperature on both channels rose together, so it wasn't one sensor going bad.

Checking the current readings, it appears that the current started dropping off at around the same time and the code increased the PWM value to try to compensate.

I think that what has probably happened is that the input voltage has sagged (for an unknown reason) causing the reading from the temperature sensors to appear higher relative to the reference voltage...

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 am

You are good Mark, like a Detective. I will run some test and try to recreate that senerio and then also try a different USB power source to see if that fixes it.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks! :-)

Let us all know how you go with it!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Attached is a bunch of cycle data from 0.514 (I could not upload it all because it said "the board attachment quota has been reached")

Mark, I think I had asked this before but is it possible to have the battery numbers be 1 and 2 instead of 0 and 1? I think you had said it was more trouble than it is worth.

Also right now the log file reads "Charge Complete - Total Capacity X mAh" when a battery is done charging. If a battery is not completely drained before it is put on the charger then it makes the Capacity number low. Maybe we should reword it to be something like "Total current delivered to cell" or "Total mAh to achieve a complete charger" or something along those lines. Hopefully someone can articulate it better than I.
Attachments
Newer eneloop.zip
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 406 times

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at the data when I've got some free time.

It's not really feasible to change the numbers of the cells in the code since "C" uses 0 based arrays, however, I could change it so that when it's sent to the output file, it adds 1 to each channel no to make them 1 & 2. I've added this to my TODO list.

I'll have a think about alternative wording - I think you're right that some people would get confused - I've seen a number of posts where people have thought that the charging capacity shown on their LaCrosse charger meant that they had something like a 2400 mAh Eneloop (before the Eneloop XX cells were released)

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I cycled two older Raovacs that I know are not the best... but they work well enough in low drain devices. Anyways, I noticed the estimated internal resistance number varies quite a bit between cycles. So one of the cells will charge fine sometimes, and other times I get the purple. I am trying to think of several test we could do that would allow us to estimate a health value (1-10) that is used to make decisions from rather then just the estimated internal resistance.
Attachments
Older Rayovac.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 390 times

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 am

Paul.Allen wrote:Attached is a bunch of cycle data from 0.514 (I could not upload it all because it said "the board attachment quota has been reached")

I've just had a quick look through this file, but I didn't see anything noteworthy to comment on...

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 am

Paul.Allen wrote:I cycled two older Raovacs that I know are not the best... but they work well enough in low drain devices. Anyways, I noticed the estimated internal resistance number varies quite a bit between cycles. So one of the cells will charge fine sometimes, and other times I get the purple. I am trying to think of several test we could do that would allow us to estimate a health value (1-10) that is used to make decisions from rather then just the estimated internal resistance.

Other than looking at the cell voltage and the internal resistance, I'm not sure what else you could do? I suspect that the internal resistance varying so much is just a symptom of the poor condition of these cells...

BTW, I noticed that one of the cells aborted due to being over temperature. It looks like the same as a previous case where I think that the source voltage sagged to the point that the reference voltage dropped and caused the temperature reading to be artificially high.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:30 am

Yeah, I was trying to troubleshoot the voltage sag problem when I realized it's our house power!! We have been dealing with it for two weeks now (lots of frustrating phone calls). Nothing against electricians, but I get frustrated when they talk down to me. It's not like I don't know anything about electricity. ; )

So the point is, until we get our house power fixed it will be hard to see if it is anything else.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:42 am

Time to buy a UPS then!

I've got an APC Smart UPS 1000VA with 2 extended battery packs attached to it - runs my entire office!

Return to “Beta Testers”