Suggestions/Observation/Bug Reporting

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Peter.Kelly

Re: Suggestions/Observation/Bug Reporting

Postby Peter.Kelly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Paul.Allen wrote:Version: 0509

Suggestions:

[*] It would be nice if the very first line printed to the SD card and on serial out was a line that named each column and what info they contain like Voltage or Current.[/list]

If you are going to add a header, the current firmware version would be helpful. It would help in folks coming here for debug help.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Yep - that was added back in the first version that I released and has been there ever since. It also shows the hardware version and the serial number of the board.

Since I managed to recover some flash space, I've also added the header line which shows the name for each column back in.

DeweyOxberger

Odd behaviors I've noticed

Postby DeweyOxberger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Here are some of the behaviors I've noticed. This post isn't too helpful since I don't have a good way to reproduce any of this and I don't have much diagnostic information:

With 512 and 514 I was seeing

1) I see batteries stop charging and the csv shows an overtemp error. The batteries are cool (love it!). It seems to happen when I swap from a just charge battery to a new battery.

2) Batteries not recognized when I put them in the connector. The led lights white but nothing happens. If I pull the battery, wait a sec, and put it back in it starts.

3) I seem to have batteries "squirt" out of my fingers and fall to the floor way too much as I pull them out. The clips have a very aggressive spring force and I have to pull hard to get the batteries out.

What kind of debug info can dig up?

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Odd behaviors I've noticed

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:24 pm

If you can email me or post the CSV file from the SD card, that would be useful.

Some notes/questions:

1. What's your ambient temperature? I've recently had a couple of cells stop charging due to being over temperature, so I'm thinking about raising the maximum temperature limit.
  2. There is a 10 second pause while the charger waits for you to push the button to indicate which sub mode you're wanting. If you don't push the button within 10 seconds, it will just start the standard mode automatically.
  3. Yeah, I get that too. If I'm careful, it's not too much of a problem, but it would be nice if they weren't quite so strong, I agree!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I am ordering weaker spring clips right now. I used them in the past and struggled with which one to go forward with for this project. The only catch with the weaker clips, is that you may sometimes get bad contact and need to squeeze/readjust them with use.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

I wouldn't have said that it was worth ordering new clips - seeing as you've already got all the clips that you need!

Surely they're not that cheap that they're a throwaway item!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 pm

You are right and so for those without cases I will probably still keep them the same. However when the case is on it is even harder to get them out of the death grip those clips have on your batteries.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 pm

I was hoping that the case would make it easier - something to leverage against, but if it makes it even harder then it makes sense to change them!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Okay, I grabbed a charger with a case and one without. Did a test on both and there are flying cells either way. However you are right, you can somewhat leverage the battery out on the charger with a case especially on the SD card side. I wish they would loosen up with use, but not really. I did bend some out in the past and that helped a little.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm not too keen on the idea of the weaker clips needing to be squeezed/readjusted after they've seen a fair bit of use.

I think it would be better to try to adjust the current clips so that they're not hanging on so tight.

I wonder if it would be possible to find something that is just the right size to insert into each clip to stretch them enough but not too much? It's a bit hard to describe what I'm thinking of so maybe I should do a sketch, but I'm thinking of something like some mild steel that is rounded at the bottom, but then goes to straight vertical edges - so that it's relatively easy to insert but so that the clips don't close around it and make it hard to remove. A hole could be drilled and tapped so that a rod could be screwed in with a handle on the end. It would be a bit of a pain to make something like this, but it'd be easier than trying to manually stretch each clip just the right amount. Probably the hardest bit would be working out the right size to do the job.

Let me know if you'd like me to sketch it up for you...

Return to “Beta Testers”