Planned Button Press Behavior

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Planned Button Press Behavior

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:35 am

Just to give you all a heads up on the behavior that I'm planning to implement on versions with the push button, I'm planning to have it work as follows:
  1. Insert Battery.
  2. LED will light up white to indicate that it's detected and waiting for a button press.
  3. As soon as the button is pressed, the LED will go out.
  4. Depending on the duration of the button press, the charger will work in different sub modes:
Mode switch position:
  • Charge:
    • Short: Normal Charge.
    • Medium: Attempt to revive a dead battery then normal charge.
    • Long: Charge a battery even if it fails the internal resistance check - at a slower rate (500 mA)
  • Discharge:
    • Short: Discharge Only.
    • Medium: Discharge, then Charge.
    • Long: Discharge, Charge, Discharge, Charge.
  • Analyze:
    • Short: Charge, Discharge, Charge.
    • Medium: Charge, Discharge, Charge, Discharge, Charge.
    • Long: Charge, Discharge, Charge, Discharge, Charge, Discharge, Charge. (Charge, then 3 full cycles)
A short press is one that is less than 1/4 of a second.
A medium press is one that is for about 1 second.
A long press is one that is for 3 seconds or longer.

If after inserting a battery, the button isn't pressed within 10 seconds, the charge will default to the same mode as if there was a short button press. After the button is released, the LED will flash white a number of times to indicate which duration button press it detected: 1 = Short, 2 = Medium, 3 = Long.

I think that the above arrangement should be fairly logical. Any feedback/suggestions on the above is welcome!

JGSchubert

Re: Planned Button Press Behavior

Post by JGSchubert » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the overview of the new button functionality! I am integrating it into my user guide right now.

-- Geoffrey

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am

Great!

Just take note that I've lowered the charging rate to 400mA for cells that would otherwise fail due to high internal resistance.

I've updated my guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13

Tcepsa

Post by Tcepsa » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 am

I like it. I'm a little unsure that duration-of-press is a good way to do it, but it's better than nothing! And I think that your time divisions are good; should be pretty easy for most people most of the time to pick the one they want. That having been said, there are two things I'd encourage you to consider:

1) As a way to make it more explicit which mode they are in before they release the button, use the color of one or both of the LEDs to indicate what is currently selected. As a bonus, you could then just cycle through them while the user holds the button, changing every second or so and looping around to the first one again after the third, and the user releases on the mode that they want to select. That way its more obvious what they are choosing before they choose it and if they miss it the first time around they can just wait until it comes around again.

2) As an alternative, consider having them do short presses* to cycle through the modes and a long press to select a mode. Again, this would use the LEDs to indicate the current mode.

A related thought that just occurred to me is that you could use one of the LEDs to indicate somehow (showing, flashing, or pulsing a particular color or short sequence of colors) that it is in mode select, um, mode. The other could still be used to indicate where they are in the cycle.

What do you think?

*I think in this case a short press should be less than 1 second or so, maybe less than 1.5; going all the way up to 2 would probably be too long. A long press would be anything longer than the upper threshold of a short press.

EDITED TO ADD: Since you have a kind of timeout going on where if they don't press the button within a certain amount of time after inserting a battery, if you do go with the mode-select indicator LED (to let them know it is waiting for them to select a charging mode) I think it would be great if you had that LED start out showing some color solid and then fading to black as the timeout expires. Maybe a little much to ask for, but I think it would be a really cool effect if you were able to work it in ^_^

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:49 am

Besides the difficulty in implementing this functionality, I prefer the way that I've got it set up...

It would be interesting to know what others think though?