Support for cards greater than 2GB in size

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.

Is it worth limiting SD cards sizes to a maximum of 2GB to gain space for other features?

Yes, definitely!
63%
Only as a last resort.
38%
I don't care.
No votes
No! Don't do it!
No votes

Total votes: 8

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: Support for cards greater than 2GB in size

Postby Paul.Allen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

Looks like I might be able to get as low as 512mb cards for around $1-$1.50. Even that would be a lot of storage.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:29 am

Yep - that would be heaps - enough for about 1000 hours or 40 days of continuous logging.

I've actually got 64MB and 128MB cards in my chargers at the moment!

Even if you were charging $2 each for them, I think a lot of people would take up the offer rather than go to the effort of obtaining and formatting a larger card down to 2GB (not that it'd be that hard, but you'd still have to get the card and it would cost more than $2 for a 4GB card) I'd probably take a couple myself!

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 am

I've just finished making the changes to use the Fat16 only SD library: fat16lib. A quick bit of testing seems to show that it's working well!

If you'd like to download the library, you can do so from the following link:
http://beta-lib.googlecode.com/files/fat16libBeta20110917.zip

This change has saved nearly 6KB of flash space - quite a lot considering how little we had to start with! Combined with a few other optimizations that I've already made, I've now got nearly 7KB free!

Tcepsa

Postby Tcepsa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:12 pm

My two cents: 2GB seems like a lot of space for these log files; more than most folks would probably need. Plus, if the same data is being output over the serial port (and you can make sure it doesn't crash if it hits that upper limit on the card) then in the nearly-unimaginable case where someone wants to do a single, uninterrupted run of more than 2GB worth of data, they can hook it up to their computer, capture the results through the serial port, and store them on an actual hard drive.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Definitely - I wouldn't be going that long without having the data logged to a computer via the serial connection - it's not work losing 5 months worth of data if there was a problem with the SD card .

It's worth having both logging to the computer and to the SD card so that if one fails, at least there is a backup.

I've got an iCharger 206B hobby charger and it has a whopping 2MB of flash for storing data - literally 1000 times less!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Way to go Mark!! almost 7KB free! I think 2GB should be more than enough.

JGSchubert

Postby JGSchubert » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm

FYI -

Just a couple days ago I bought a couple (it was a dual-pack) 2 GB SD cards at my local CVS/pharmacy. They also had a single package 2 GB card also. Price was $17 for the single and $26 for the dual-pack. Probably cheaper online though.

Perhaps these size cards are not as rare to find these days?

- Geoffrey

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Ouch, that's a lot of money for 2GB cards!

I'm guessing that they're really old stock with a matching price tag (i.e. that hasn't come down over time)

I can think of at least one shop that I can walk into and buy a 16GB SD card for AU$15 here...

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Yeah, Ouch! Pricey SD cards.

Sorry I haven't figured out a good place for SD cards yet. My life has been a little crazy with our move. I am beginning to get things set up and going again.

Mark, good to see you alive, are you feeling better? How is the rest of the family?

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm starting to feel quite a bit better, but still a long way from being 100% - thanks! Our 6 month is finally getting better as well - the fevers have calmed right down and she's starting to look a bit happier again as well - still some way from being herself still though. The rest of the family is doing quite well now.

Another thought on why you still found those 2GB cards - I'd say that they still had stock simply because the price was so high that no one else was willing to buy them. Most places would put them on clearance to get rid of them rather than be left with something that is approaching a value of $0.

Return to “Beta Testers”