User Guide and Quick Start Guide

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
JGSchubert

User Guide and Quick Start Guide

Postby JGSchubert » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 am

All,

I will update this post as I go, but I wanted to get at least a working draft out for your comments and suggestions! I will happily take feedback as we go along.

Currently I need to do the following (you may add other stuff!):

1 - Finish reprogramming section DONE!
2 - Describe all possible light states (from Mark's explanation post on this forum) in Mode section DONE! - mostly. May not put ALL in...
3 - Add detail regarding charging rates (again from Mark and Paul's explanations) in Mode section
**4 - Add Paul's 'bar code' company logo to cover page (and other niceties) - DONE!
5 - Add caveat section (need input for this!) - DONE! - unless we need any others!
6 - Finish formatting and layout tweaking/consistency - DONE!
7 - Create "Quick Start" sheet with only abbreviated switch/button descriptions to get users going fast! - DONE!

2013 OCT 23 - UPDATE: Uploaded new 'QUICK START GUIDE' to get users going while full manual is still in progress. Designed to be one page and foldable if desired. Happy to make changes before we call it 'good' and distribute.

2013 OCT 26 - UPDATE: Uploaded both Guides now at v1.0 as noted above.

Have fun!

-- Geoffrey
Attachments
QuickStartGuide.pdf
Quick Start Guide - Updated by Mark
(148.64 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
UserGuide0p7.zip
User Guide ver 0.7 in both native LibreOffice format and SavedAs M$ Office '.doc'
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 584 times
Last edited by JGSchubert on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark
Site Admin

Re: User Guide

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 am

That looks great - thanks!

Just a few nitpicks/suggestions:

Need to remove “TM” from title. My understanding is that claiming to own a trademark which you don't actually own can cause serious legal problems!

Maybe change the font? I'm not a huge fan of Comic Sans myself, but I'm happy for others to put in their thoughts on this.

Figure 1: Change to “Optional External Load Connection” “Charge Current Switch”

Change text about SD cards to say only Fat16 cards are supported (up to 2GB in size)

The LCD will be integrated in that version rather than as a detachable module.

Need to add in a disclaimer somewhere – limited liability, charger shouldn’t be left unattended in case it catches fire, etc! Although I've added in several features to try to ensure that the charger fails in a safe way, it is at least theoretically possible that everything could go wrong leading to a cell exploding. The chances of this happening are very low in my opinion, but it's worth trying to cover our rears on this!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: User Guide

Postby Paul.Allen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am

Fist off thanks for doing this! Second, some of the lines I found hilarious!!! Maybe I am just tired/exhausted or maybe it is because they are so True!

"Be careful removing batteries - they tend to like to fly out once free of the springy clips!"

"Insert your AA (HR6) size batteries (the only size this charger will accept)"

Suggested Changes:

Reprogramming

The board is powered by 5V but the actual microcontroller, ADC, Temp sensor, all chips are running at 3.3V. Everything is 5V tolerant, so for reprogramming 5V is fine, but if you are going to leave it connected during charging you really should use a 3.3V FTDI board.

ICSP

"Both the FTDI header and the ICSP support the same functionality and neither has advantages over the other for the UltraSmartCharger."

For programming, but you can't read data out through the ISP header.

Mini USB

90% of the time the charger should not draw more than the 500mA USB standard, so really it should be just fine to charge from a computer USB port if the batteries are nice healthy, normal batteries. On top of that, most 500mA USB ports can actually deliver 750mA no problem and often even 1A. All that said, I do think powering it from a 1amp or more wall-USB adapter is best. 1A is actually the max you could deliver through the USB port on the charger because it is protected by a polyfuse that trips at around 1A. If you want to do some experimenting with higher current charging you have to power the charger through the little port next to the USB connector (the one that is not labeled).

Really great Stuff!

Mark
Site Admin

Re: User Guide and Quick Start Guide

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 pm

The quick start guide looks good!

JGSchubert

Postby JGSchubert » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Paul and Mark,

Trying to finish up version 1.0 of the "User Guide" and making some minor changes to the "Quick Start Guide" as well.

A couple questions:
1 - I must have missed this earlier, but will the LCD version have the LCD permanently attached, or will it be seperable? I see an earlier reply in this thread where Mark said it would be permanent, but I thought I saw an image (maybe back during the Kickstarter campaign) with an LCD that could be detached. Perhaps that was only a prototype?

2 - Do we want any names other than "Paul Allen Engineering, LLC" to appear in the User Guide? I was thinking of adding an "Acknowledgements" section with things like: Thanks to all the beta testers: .... To do this, I need everybody's name (as they would like to see it, even if just a handle). I was going to grab names from the original forum on Paul's site, when we introduced ourselves, but it appears that is offline now.

3 - Does Paul have a better version of his bar code logo for me to use? Right now I have simply swiped the one from the website and scrunched it down for use in the User Guide. If so, please email me the file.

In the meantime I have deleted the "TM" from the title page (although as I understand it, we could leave it - there does not appear to be any other product using that exact name, and we are not claiming we have registered that trademark '(R)' with the USPTO. I have also switched the font, but my intention was to not use a normal (overused) font like Ariel or Callibri, that is all. If the current choice bothers you, please suggest one and I will happily switch it (and reformat a bit as necessary).

I will post my latest revised copies of both guides shortly.

Regards,

Geoffrey

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

JGSchubert wrote:Paul and Mark,

Trying to finish up version 1.0 of the "User Guide" and making some minor changes to the "Quick Start Guide" as well.

A couple questions:
1 - I must have missed this earlier, but will the LCD version have the LCD permanently attached, or will it be seperable? I see an earlier reply in this thread where Mark said it would be permanent, but I thought I saw an image (maybe back during the Kickstarter campaign) with an LCD that could be detached. Perhaps that was only a prototype?

Yes, unless Paul has changed his mind, the final version of the LCD charger will have the LCD permanently attached. The main reason for this is that the connector was prone to detaching when inserting/removing batteries. If Paul has managed to find a better alternate connector, that could change of course, but I don't think he's planning to go back to having it as a separate board.

2 - Do we want any names other than "Paul Allen Engineering, LLC" to appear in the User Guide? I was thinking of adding an "Acknowledgements" section with things like: Thanks to all the beta testers: .... To do this, I need everybody's name (as they would like to see it, even if just a handle). I was going to grab names from the original forum on Paul's site, when we introduced ourselves, but it appears that is offline now.

I'm quite happy to have my name shown in an Acknowledgements section: Mark Griffiths.

3 - Does Paul have a better version of his bar code logo for me to use? Right now I have simply swiped the one from the website and scrunched it down for use in the User Guide. If so, please email me the file.

Can't help with this one - sorry!

In the meantime I have deleted the "TM" from the title page (although as I understand it, we could leave it - there does not appear to be any other product using that exact name, and we are not claiming we have registered that trademark '(R)' with the USPTO.

Looks like you're quite correct - we can use the "TM" symbol without registering it - I was getting confused with the Registered Trade Mark symbol which you can't use until the trade mark is registered. Sorry!

I have also switched the font, but my intention was to not use a normal (overused) font like Ariel or Callibri, that is all. If the current choice bothers you, please suggest one and I will happily switch it (and reformat a bit as necessary).

I'm not that worried by the font - I just think that comic sans looks amateurish, but if everyone else was happy with it, then we could stick to it...

I will post my latest revised copies of both guides shortly.

Sounds good!

Return to “Beta Testers”