Discussion of Mark's firmware

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Tcepsa

Re: Discussion of Mark's firmware

Post by Tcepsa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 am

Okay, playing around with the 0520 version and it seems to be working well for me. I know that there's been a lot of discussion about the flashing while waiting to charge; my 2 cents is that flashing blue would be better than flashing red (which makes me think that either there's a problem or it is charging somehow, because that's the other thing that flashing red sometimes indicates--a la top-off charging). If it's already settled as flashing red, that's fine by me.

I've attached the output of an ongoing single analysis cycle charge (captured via serial port). I have a few questions:
1) I have it set to do High for charging, but it looks like it's only using 200 mA. Is that because it's doing a top-off charge?
2) It seems like it's taking quite a while to do the top-off; how does it decide when to stop? [Edit: Just found the post on top-off charging. Looks like the limit is 200 mAh; mine's just over 190 right now, I anticipate it stopping soon and will post another update once I get there. Further update: Made it to 200 mAh and it stopped the top-off charging and switched over to the other battery as expected.]
3) If I'm reading this right, then it looks like there's something wrong with my temperature readings (they're all negative, for one thing...). Any idea what's up with that?

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere; I'm still catching up after getting home...
Attachments
20131121_202742_data_partial.zip
(63.7 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 am

Tcepsa wrote:Okay, playing around with the 0520 version and it seems to be working well for me. I know that there's been a lot of discussion about the flashing while waiting to charge; my 2 cents is that flashing blue would be better than flashing red (which makes me think that either there's a problem or it is charging somehow, because that's the other thing that flashing red sometimes indicates--a la top-off charging). If it's already settled as flashing red, that's fine by me.
I don't think anyone has suggested a blue flash previously - that could work...
I've attached the output of an ongoing single analysis cycle charge (captured via serial port). I have a few questions:
1) I have it set to do High for charging, but it looks like it's only using 200 mA. Is that because it's doing a top-off charge?
Yes, it started out charging at 1000 mA but then switched to 200 mA to do the top off charge.
2) It seems like it's taking quite a while to do the top-off; how does it decide when to stop? [Edit: Just found the post on top-off charging. Looks like the limit is 200 mAh; mine's just over 190 right now, I anticipate it stopping soon and will post another update once I get there]
Yes, that's correct.
3) If I'm reading this right, then it looks like there's something wrong with my temperature readings (they're all negative, for one thing...). Any idea what's up with that?
Seems rather odd! Are you getting negative temperatures on the other channel as well?

I'm assuming that you weren't getting negative values previously?

Tcepsa

Post by Tcepsa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 am

Mark wrote:
Tcepsa wrote:Okay, playing around with the 0520 version and it seems to be working well for me. I know that there's been a lot of discussion about the flashing while waiting to charge; my 2 cents is that flashing blue would be better than flashing red (which makes me think that either there's a problem or it is charging somehow, because that's the other thing that flashing red sometimes indicates--a la top-off charging). If it's already settled as flashing red, that's fine by me.
I don't think anyone has suggested a blue flash previously - that could work...
Nifty! Anyone else have an opinion on blue flashing (instead of red) to indicate "waiting to charge"?
Mark wrote:
Tcepsa wrote:3) If I'm reading this right, then it looks like there's something wrong with my temperature readings (they're all negative, for one thing...). Any idea what's up with that?
Seems rather odd! Are you getting negative temperatures on the other channel as well?

I'm assuming that you weren't getting negative values previously?
After a closer look at some of my back logs it looks like I have seen negative values in the past, so maybe it's just a matter of calibration. Though if they're supposed to be degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit, they're definitely off since my house is well above freezing (even if it doesn't always feel like it ) It looks like 0512 was capturing them correctly (assuming they're degrees Celsius), but that more recent versions have been off. I'll try jumping back to 0512 after this analysis cycle completes and seeing whether I get good readings again.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:12 am

Tcepsa wrote:Nifty! Anyone else have an opinion on blue flashing (instead of red) to indicate "waiting to charge"?
Unfortunately there hasn't really been much feedback on this topic.
After a closer look at some of my back logs it looks like I have seen negative values in the past, so maybe it's just a matter of calibration. Though if they're supposed to be degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit, they're definitely off since my house is well above freezing (even if it doesn't always feel like it ) It looks like 0512 was capturing them correctly (assuming they're degrees Celsius), but that more recent versions have been off. I'll try jumping back to 0512 after this analysis cycle completes and seeing whether I get good readings again.
The temperatures should be in degrees Celsius.

Let us know how you go with it!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Post by Paul.Allen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Blue flashing sounds good to me. And maybe we should change No SD to alternate flashing blue and yellow or something.

As far as negative temperature, I am Really curiose about what is going on there? Maybe we could add a section to the light show where it saves temp and V readings every minute or so that can be used as a check that the sensors are working correctly. Having it happen during the light show will ensure no batteries a inserted to throw of temp readings, and that the temp sensors have had a minute to stabilize.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Paul.Allen wrote:Blue flashing sounds good to me.
OK, sounds good to me! I'll make the change for the next version!
And maybe we should change No SD to alternate flashing blue and yellow or something.
The no SD flash is a fast flash whereas I'd have the waiting to charge flash run slower. It might still make sense to try a different color combination though to reduce confusion.
As far as negative temperature, I am Really curiose about what is going on there? Maybe we could add a section to the light show where it saves temp and V readings every minute or so that can be used as a check that the sensors are working correctly. Having it happen during the light show will ensure no batteries a inserted to throw of temp readings, and that the temp sensors have had a minute to stabilize.
My money would be on a faulty sensor - that's why I'm wanting to know what values the other channel is giving.

Tcepsa

Post by Tcepsa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:13 am

Yay blue flashing! Also, I think that the fast blue no-flash indicating no SD card is sufficiently different as to be not a problem (and it only shows up after the initial start-up light show, right? Or would it also do it if you pulled out the card in the middle of a charge? (I'm a little reluctant to try--don't want to corrupt the card--but if it shouldn't actually hurt it I'll give it a shot to see what happens)).

Anyway, the charge finished up normally with the exception of the negative temperature. I was getting similar readings on the other channel as well. See attached file for details. I haven't had the chance to try it with older versions of the firmware yet.

edited to provide correct version of the log file
Attachments
20131121_202742_data.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
Last edited by Tcepsa on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 am

Tcepsa wrote:Yay blue flashing! Also, I think that the fast blue no-flash indicating no SD card is sufficiently different as to be not a problem (and it only shows up after the initial start-up light show, right?
It only shows up at start up.
Or would it also do it if you pulled out the card in the middle of a charge?
No, it doesn't - it'll just stop writing to the card. Reinserting the card won't cause it to resume writing the log file either - you need to turn the charger off and then back on again for it to start working again.
(I'm a little reluctant to try--don't want to corrupt the card--but if it shouldn't actually hurt it I'll give it a shot to see what happens)).
Yes, it could corrupt the card - if it's being written to at the time that you remove it.
Anyway, the charge finished up normally with the exception of the negative temperature. I was getting similar readings on the other channel as well. See attached file for details. I haven't had the chance to try it with older versions of the firmware yet.
That looks like the same file as you posted earlier. No mind though - I can see a temperature reading on the other channel at the start and it's basically the same. The mystery deepens!

Let me know the results from trying an older firmware version!

Tcepsa

Post by Tcepsa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:29 am

You're right; I uploaded the wrong file. I've replaced it with what should be the correct one, though it sounds like you got the information you wanted already :)

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:14 am

Tcepsa wrote:You're right; I uploaded the wrong file. I've replaced it with what should be the correct one, though it sounds like you got the information you wanted already :)
Thanks for that. It looks like the measured values are at least changing in the right direction at the right times, so I'd say that there is still useable data coming from them. It's at least an offset problem (and possibly also a scaling error as well) The first thing that comes to mind is that it's a sensor with different properties to the one that the code is written for, but that wouldn't explain why you were getting normal readings previously...

It will be useful to see what results you get with the old firmware just to confirm!