Discussion of Mark's firmware

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: Discussion of Mark's firmware

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Mark, I think you should drop the white light during charging. Not that I don't think it is cool, I just think we should try and keep the colors more tied to function; white waiting for button, red charging and so on.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I've already changed the pattern slightly for the next firmware - it now flashes faster with the white period a lot shorter so that it shouldn't be as confusing.

The main reason why I added the white in was so that others are less likely to think that the charger is charging with brief pulses when it's actually just waiting to charge. I suppose some might still get confused though...

ukoda

Postby ukoda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:03 am

Mark wrote:I've already changed the pattern slightly for the next firmware - it now flashes faster with the white period a lot shorter so that it shouldn't be as confusing.

The main reason why I added the white in was so that others are less likely to think that the charger is charging with brief pulses when it's actually just waiting to charge. I suppose some might still get confused though...

The presence of the white light is not documented in the documentation I have read so far. I was going to read the source code to work out what it meant. If you leave it in then I would suggest it's presence and purpose be documented.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:15 am

ukoda wrote:The presence of the white light is not documented in the documentation I have read so far. I was going to read the source code to work out what it meant. If you leave it in then I would suggest it's presence and purpose be documented.

Thanks for letting me know about this - I've just updated the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:59 am

I still think we should drop the white while charging. I see your point about people might think the flashing is representative of the current being delivered. If that is really an issue then we could just get rid of the flashing red altogether like it was in the beginning and then it actually will be representative of the current?

I wish (i know this is not possible) we could do orange, that way the battery that is waiting could just be orange while the other is red.

In the 4 battery version I am thinking of using NeoPixels, that way it can be any color we want at any brightness we want (without current limiting resistors).

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 am

Paul.Allen wrote:I still think we should drop the white while charging. I see your point about people might think the flashing is representative of the current being delivered. If that is really an issue then we could just get rid of the flashing red altogether like it was in the beginning and then it actually will be representative of the current?

The problem with not showing any indication on the LED is if you've got 2 cells in the charger and it's set for fast charge mode (i.e. only charging 1 cell at a time - the other cell waits for the other to finish before it starts) it would look like the charger hasn't recognized that there is a cell in the slot that is waiting to charge!

I wish (i know this is not possible) we could do orange, that way the battery that is waiting could just be orange while the other is red.

If there had been more PWM pins available on the controller, we could have done it that way.

How about Blue alternating with Red? Solid Blue currently indicates resting, so that might be more logical?

In the 4 battery version I am thinking of using NeoPixels, that way it can be any color we want at any brightness we want (without current limiting resistors).

Interesting! Is there really a need to individual LEDS when we've got a colour LCD in the middle? I suppose it would be nice to be able to see at a glance what the status is for each battery without having to study the LCD screen!

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am

Mark wrote:How about Blue alternating with Red? Solid Blue currently indicates resting, so that might be more logical?

That sounds good!

Mark wrote: Is there really a need to individual LEDS when we've got a colour LCD in the middle? I suppose it would be nice to be able to see at a glance what the status is for each battery without having to study the LCD screen!

Good point... probably not.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Okay, after playing with 0.516 for a few day's I think you should go back to just the red blinking like in the beginning. I think the number of people that will get the flashing confused with the speed of pulsed current will be less than those that get confused with all the colors flashing before their eyes (especially when one cell is done and doing a top-off while the other is still charging... it gets a little crazy! : )

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 pm

It's not a bug - it's a feature! It's supposed to look like a christmas tree ornament!

Seriously though, the Blue/Red combination has grown on me. I wonder what others think about this?

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:59 am

Things seem a bit quiet around here lately...

Either the latest firmware is working really well and no one is having any problems, or maybe no one is actually testing it besides Paul?

If you've tested the firmware, please report back and let us know how you're going with it!

If you have got a charger and you haven't tested the latest firmware yet, then hurry up and start testing it! (Please) `;-)`

Return to “Beta Testers”