Charging Top Off

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Charging Top Off

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:07 am

Version 0.516 adds an optional top off feature.

The current defaults are 200 mA to a capacity of 200 mAh (1 hour in fast charging mode, 2 hours when charging 50% of the time)

It's also possible to set which modes the top off is done in: At the moment, I've got it set to do a top off in the analyze and discharge modes, but when doing a normal charge. My reasoning behind this is that it's useful to do a top off when testing the battery capacity to get a more accurate measurement of the battery capacity. It also helps a bit with forming new cells or ones that have been sitting idle for a while.

Although it's at a low enough current that it shouldn't cause any significant damage to the cell, it will still be overcharging the cell a little and probably inflict a small amount of damage. There's not much benefit from getting the cell as full as possible unless it's going to be used straight away - self discharge is highest when the cell is full and this affects even good cells like Eneloops. I'd prefer to be gentler on my cells and get more cycles out of them.

When doing a top off charge, the LED will alternate between green and red to indicate that the cell is full, but is still being charged at a low rate.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Re: Charging Top Off

Postby Paul.Allen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 am

Mark wrote: I'd prefer to be gentler on my cells and get more cycles out of them.

Same here... else I would just be using a dumb trickle charger.

Mark wrote:When doing a top off charge, the LED will alternate between green and red to indicate that the cell is full, but is still being charged at a low rate.

Like it!

Return to “Beta Testers”