General discussion about LEDs

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
DeweyOxberger

General discussion about LEDs

Postby DeweyOxberger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:28 pm

This is just some of my crazy thoughts about LEDs:

1) As I recall there are standards for colors and what they mean. Maybe there is something useful there.

EN60204-1 says something like:

Red = Emergency, Hazardous condition, needs immediate action, like temp is too high

Yellow = Abnormal, something bad is about to happen, monitor closely

Green = Normal

Blue = Mandatory, operator must respond, prompt

White = Neutral, "Other stuff happening"

2) LED color isn't great if you are color blind. Future revs might be able to use individual leds so a color blind person could rely on position + light to convey a message. That would also give you a chance to label the meaning.

So what are all the software states that need to be conveyed? Empty (no battery), Initial check, Charging, Resting, Done (good), Stopped (Fault)...

What are all the color states? (red, yellow, blue, green, white) x (off, blink, on solid)

Mark
Site Admin

Re: General discussion about LEDs

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 pm

The meanings of all the color codes can be found in this post:

http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13&p=45#p45

I think that the colors that we've chosen are pretty much in line with the colors shown by most other chargers - at least as far as charging and being done. Most chargers don't have the other modes that are on this charger!

There's not much I can do for people who are color blind as far as this version of the charger goes. Hopefully anyone who is color blind has chosen the LCD version, so they'll be able to read the status on the screen!

Return to “Beta Testers”