Drivers for Windows 10

For general discussion of the UltraSmartCharger
TimW

Drivers for Windows 10

Post by TimW » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:12 am

Hi, I've been trying to get the Management Software to work with my charger and Windows 10 PC.

The charger appears to be working OK (I have it plugged into the USB with 2 batteries inserted and the LED indicators seem to show charging (each battery is alternating between slow blue and solid red)).

But the management software does not list my charger, and it appears under Windows Device Manager as:

"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Has anyone had similar problems with Windows 10 not recognising the device?

Cheers
Tim

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Drivers for Windows 10

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 pm

It should work with Windows 10.

I just tested one of my chargers with a Windows 10 tablet and it worked - I did have to ask Windows to download and install the correct driver for the FTDI serial converter, but there were no issues beyond that.

Can you try disconnecting the charger and reconnect and see if that makes a difference to how it's detected? Failing that, are you able to connect it to a different computer and see if that makes a difference?

TimW

Post by TimW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:40 am

Mark wrote:It should work with Windows 10.

I just tested one of my chargers with a Windows 10 tablet and it worked - I did have to ask Windows to download and install the correct driver for the FTDI serial converter, but there were no issues beyond that.

Can you try disconnecting the charger and reconnect and see if that makes a difference to how it's detected? Failing that, are you able to connect it to a different computer and see if that makes a difference?
Hi Mark

Thanks for the quick reply. I would have expected it to just work under Windows 10 also, but no dice. The "Device Descriptor Request failed" part of the error message is making me wonder if the unit is perhaps defective, as that's not an error I've seen with other hardware. Windows doesn't "know" that it needs the FTDI driver.

I did try unplugging, replugging, and several reboots in various combinations but always the same error message. I even tried manually installing FTDI drivers from the http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm site but it made no difference. I will try plugging it into another Windows PC this week, but hopes are not high.

But it may all be moot anyway - after charging a 3rd pair of AA batteries yesterday, when removing one battery from the holder the entire push button assembly broke off, so I have no way of controlling the charger's functions :(

Have messaged Paul via the Kickstarter page to find out what my options are, but doubt he will have had a chance to see the message yet. Will hopefully hear from him soon.

Cheers
Tim

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 am

It does sound like a faulty FTDI chip.

As well as trying a different computer, you could perhaps also try a different USB cable and a different port on the computer - either of those could be faulty and cause Windows to not be able to detect the chip properly. If changing ports and the cable doesn't work, chances are that a different computer won't help, but it's still worth a try if you can.

Not good to hear that the push button fell off - hopefully Paul can sort that out for you. In the mean time, you can still use the charger for basic functions - after you insert the cells, after 10 seconds, it will automatically start the primary mode set by the slider. If we can get the PC interface to work for you, you won't actually need the push button as you can then control the charger entirely from the PC.

TimW

Post by TimW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:00 am

Mark wrote:It does sound like a faulty FTDI chip.

As well as trying a different computer, you could perhaps also try a different USB cable and a different port on the computer - either of those could be faulty and cause Windows to not be able to detect the chip properly. If changing ports and the cable doesn't work, chances are that a different computer won't help, but it's still worth a try if you can.

Not good to hear that the push button fell off - hopefully Paul can sort that out for you. In the mean time, you can still use the charger for basic functions - after you insert the cells, after 10 seconds, it will automatically start the primary mode set by the slider. If we can get the PC interface to work for you, you won't actually need the push button as you can then control the charger entirely from the PC.
Thanks again Mark. Have already tried different ports and USB cables, but they didn't help. For the sake of completeness will definitely try it on another PC tonight (should be able to try it on a Windows 7 PC, and possibly a Vista one too), but I'm not expecting much good to come of it.

Yes I read in the user guide the default function (short press) comes on if there's no input detected after a battery insert so I still will be able to do the basic functions without the button. But obviously would be happier with a charger that is complete and working :)

I also noticed that my charger does not have the Charge Current switch shown in the User Guide pictures. As an original LCD-charger backer, I got a bit confused by the various changes that happened over the course of the project development, so not sure where my model sits in the scheme of things.

Cheers

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 am

If you have only just got your charger recently, it will be the most recent version - the fact that it's detected by the computer (even if it's not detected correctly) also indicates that it's the latest version.

Although you don't have the current selector switch, the charger that you've got in the end is a lot better IMHO - the capability to interface to the PC and have it control and monitor the charger (when it works of course) is much more useful than being able to set the current through a switch. If you do insert a cell with high resistance, the charger will automatically charge it at a lower rate, so I think that the current selector is superfluous now anyway.

I'd say that you're most likely right and that you've got a faulty charger - 2 faults in fact. Paul will most likely get you to send it back to him and then send a replacement back to you.

TimW

Post by TimW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:20 am

Mark wrote:If you have only just got your charger recently, it will be the most recent version - the fact that it's detected by the computer (even if it's not detected correctly) also indicates that it's the latest version.

Although you don't have the current selector switch, the charger that you've got in the end is a lot better IMHO - the capability to interface to the PC and have it control and monitor the charger (when it works of course) is much more useful than being able to set the current through a switch. If you do insert a cell with high resistance, the charger will automatically charge it at a lower rate, so I think that the current selector is superfluous now anyway.

I'd say that you're most likely right and that you've got a faulty charger - 2 faults in fact. Paul will most likely get you to send it back to him and then send a replacement back to you.
Thanks for the charger versions info. I was pretty sure I had the latest version, but seeing the Charge switch in the manual got me to wondering :)

I'm kind of hoping that I can send this unit back for a replacment as well, but will wait to see what Paul has to say.

Cheers for your help :)

Tim

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Post by Paul.Allen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:26 am

Hey Tim,
Have you tried installing the driver for the FTDI chip? You can find it here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Let me know if that helps?

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:52 am

Can you please post an update on how you're going with this? If you're still having problems, would you be willing to let me remotely access into your system so that I can take a look at it and see if I can fix the problem?