higher charge/discharge current via external

For general discussion of the UltraSmartCharger
peterc

higher charge/discharge current via external

Post by peterc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Could someone let me know where to hook up the external load to the rev3 board? it seems like things have changed since the manual was written.

Also, is it possible to hook up external power supply to get higher charge rate without damaging the board/connected computer? Would like to hit the 2A Mark's been testing with.

thanks!!

Mark
Site Admin

Re: higher charge/discharge current via external

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 am

Yes, just below each of the 2 ohm resistors at the top of the board is the connection for the external load - keep in mind that the external load will run in parallel to the 2 ohm resistor.

External power which bypasses the poly fuse can supplied through the connection points either side of the USB connector.

If you're not clear on either of the above, let me know and I'll take a photo and stick some arrows on it for you.

peterc

Post by peterc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:41 am

Hi Mark,

it would be great if you could do the photo with arrows :)

for external load, would I be able to control the current (or view the actual current) from USCManager? if not, i'll just add up whatever value+ my external load, correct?

thanks for helping me so promptly!

Peter

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:58 am

OK, I'll try and do that as well later today.

You should be able to control the current through the manager - it might require modified firmware though - let me get back to you about that.

peterc

Post by peterc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Mark,

I figured out the locations for the pins and everything seems to be working well. But, I would like to go above 2A charge/discharge, is it possible? what's the limit the board can handle? would be cool to do a 2C charge/discharge!

thanks!

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:08 pm

2A is pretty much at the limit for both charging and discharging.

You might be able to push it to 2.5A by modifying the firmware, but I wouldn't recommend it.