Best charger for NiZn?

For general discussion of the UltraSmartCharger
B-2Admirer

Re: Best charger for NiZn?

Postby B-2Admirer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 am

dino wrote:
Mark wrote:when it's charging them.

wow that sounds interesting. i wouldn't know how to implement that *gg*
looks like i need to read more literature on battery charging and chemistries :oops:

I think a combined algorithm, safe for both NiZn and NiMH/NiCd, can be devised; the charger monitors for voltage drop exhibited by NiMH while charging, stopping if detected and, conversely, switches to the CC/CV profile required by NiZn when the voltage exceeds what's expected from NiMH.

RLBrooks

Postby RLBrooks » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:27 am

I supported this charger for NiMH batteries. I never heard of NiZn until it was posted here recently. I hope my charger isn't going to be limited in any way so it can handle this new type that was never part of the original Kickstarter project. I also hope there won't be further delays to add this new battery type. This thread is troubling when we are already so far past the original shipping deadlines.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:31 am

The charger has supported NiZn chemistry for quite a long time, so even if you have got fairly old firmware, you shouldn't have any problems charging NiZn cells!

The only versions of this charger which can't be updated to handle NiZn with new firmware were some early prototypes, so the worst case scenario would be that you would need to do a firmware update.

Return to “General Discussion”