Video

For general discussion of the UltraSmartCharger
johnsonlam

Video

Post by johnsonlam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:29 am

Hi,

May I suggest making video of the LED status?
It's not that simple to determine what kind of the charging status even I read the forum (forgive me for not studying the English good enough). I think the LCD panel should solve the problem but sadly Paul got lot of faulty units, and unexpected delays.

Thanks.

Johnson.

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Video

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:54 am

If you have got the charger connected to a PC, that makes it easy to see exactly what's going on.

A video for those that can't connect it to a PC though is probably a good idea - I'll have to think about the best way to do it.

johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 am

Hi Mark,

I found that connect to PC is not simple as I thought.
My board got no pins (the blog's one have 4 or 5 pins), I guess (though no version info) it's new version, should be able to use the USB port directly, but is the cable special? I found no detail information from the forum and Paul's Blog, and I'm just a normal user without Arduino IDE experience, even your Windows package is simple and easy to use.

Maybe a more "dummy" document will make the "connect to PC" more intuitive.

Rgds,
Johnson.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:00 am

Just a normal USB A to USB Mini B cable should be all that you need to connect the charger to your PC.

To use it, just plug it into the computer, run the charger manager software and add the COM port that the charger has installed as and you should be good to go.

johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Mark,

My board Paul sent me have no mini USB port, the only USB port is microUSB for power.
I've tried to connect it to PC, and it doesn't become COM port.
So should I email Paul and ask?

Rgds,
Johnson.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 am

Actually, it could be a micro USB cable that you need - Paul did mention to me previously that he was looking at changing to micro USB.

It should be automatically detected as a COM port. You could try emailing Paul directly, or if you can send me a detailed photo of your charger, I can let you know whether it has the USB to serial controller on it.

johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:36 am

Mark wrote:Actually, it could be a micro USB cable that you need - Paul did mention to me previously that he was looking at changing to micro USB.
My board don't have it.
I've sent a message to Paul via Kickstarter.
It should be automatically detected as a COM port. You could try emailing Paul directly, or if you can send me a detailed photo of your charger, I can let you know whether it has the USB to serial controller on it.
Attached in this message, thanks.
Attachments
pcb.JPG
pcb.JPG (221.49 KiB) Viewed 8303 times

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:51 am

johnsonlam wrote:
Mark wrote:Actually, it could be a micro USB cable that you need - Paul did mention to me previously that he was looking at changing to micro USB.
My board don't have it.
I've sent a message to Paul via Kickstarter.
Sorry - what doesn't it have? It should be either one or the either - either mini USB or micro USB...
Attached in this message, thanks.
Thanks - that board does have the FTDI USB to serial converter on it, so it should just be detected by Windows. Have you tried using a different cable and/or USB port on your computer?

pfeerick

Post by pfeerick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:05 am

Funny you say that... I was about to suggest the same thing. Unfortunately, not all Micro USB cables are the same, so it is worth checking. Some are intended for charging only, so the data connections aren't connected to anything. Best thing to do is to get a cable that you know is properly wired - i.e. because you can access the files on your phone via that cable when it's connected to computer. If it only charges the phone, and doesn't let the computer see it, then it isn't going to let the computer see the charger if you use that cable with it. I've been stung a few times when grabbing a cable in a hurry, and then realising it is a charge-only cable - have to get around to labelling those annoying ones!

And as Mark said, the drivers should be automatically installed when you connect the charger to the computer for the first time as it has the FTDI USB interface chip. Does your computer make a sound when you plug the charger into it?

Pete
Mark wrote:Have you tried using a different cable and/or USB port on your computer?

johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi,

Tried 3 cables, really 2 of them got no response from the PC, last one seems connected, check the device manager and found "unknown device".

I don't have more microUSB cables since I use iPhone, need to find another one to test.

Rgds,
Johnson.