Bluetooth Support

Discussion of ideas for your ultimate dream charger/analyzer
Mark
Site Admin

Bluetooth Support

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:56 am

I'm not sure if it would really be worth the cost and time required, but it might be worthwhile to add support for Bluetooth - the SkyRC NC2500 charger already supports it:
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=179

This allows an app on an Android or iOS device to control the charger as well as graph charging/discharging curves, etc.

For myself, I think that having a USB interface to a PC is more than enough really, but others might be interested in this as a feature.

ukoda

Re: Bluetooth Support

Postby ukoda » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am

Mark wrote:I'm not sure if it would really be worth the cost and time required, but it might be worthwhile to add support for Bluetooth - the SkyRC NC2500 charger already supports it:
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=179

This allows an app on an Android or iOS device to control the charger as well as graph charging/discharging curves, etc.

For myself, I think that having a USB interface to a PC is more than enough really, but others might be interested in this as a feature.

Bluetooth is very cheap and easy to do, just use a HC06 module. I already use them in several projects. The time consuming part is creating the Android app.

In the past the iPhone would refuse to work with most Bluetooth devices, not sure if that has been changed. It was a business, not technical limitation. Also there are strong controls on the development and distribution of iOS apps. I leave that option in my too hard basket.

Having Android access to the charger does have some appeal if there was a good app for it.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Maybe something to consider more seriously then!

I agree that Android is easier to support - I've only got an Android phone myself so that's also more appealing for me as well. Paul has an iPhone though, so he'd probably be more interested in iOS support...

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Mark wrote:Paul has an iPhone though, so he'd probably be more interested in iOS support...

Whatever!... I still use android all the time! It is open source, linux based, I love it! The only apple thing i have is my phone, plus I hate how apple charges you so much to develop for it, where as development for android is Free (well not the time it takes, but you know what i mean)! We use android devices a lot for my work for quick development of hand-held/portable prototypes. Then once concepts are proven and tested, a more custom solutions is made.

Android would be great

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 am

Android it is then! ;-)

The latest version of Delphi can compile for both Android and iOS. In theory at least, it would be possible to develop for Android and get it working, then just do a simple recompile for iOS without any other changes. (In practice, it may not be so simple - you also still need to jump through the hoops to get onto the Apple App Store, etc)

ukoda

Postby ukoda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:21 am

Mark wrote:Android it is then! ;-)

The latest version of Delphi can compile for both Android and iOS. In theory at least, it would be possible to develop for Android and get it working, then just do a simple recompile for iOS without any other changes. (In practice, it may not be so simple - you also still need to jump through the hoops to get onto the Apple App Store, etc)

It may be worth investigating of any of the Open Source platforms are can do both Android and iOS as Delphi is not a cheap product, reducing the ability to lever off the community to help.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 am

Fair point.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any open source products that allow targeting of both iOS and Android from the same code base. Even considering commercial offerings, I think Delphi is the only option at the moment.

I could be wrong of course, so I'm open to suggestions!

ukoda

Postby ukoda » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 am

Mark wrote:Fair point.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any open source products that allow targeting of both iOS and Android from the same code base. Even considering commercial offerings, I think Delphi is the only option at the moment.

When Delphi lost the plot a few years back I switched to Lazarus, http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/, which I use for creating cross platform Linux, Windows and Mac tools. I see it also claims Android and iOS support but I'm not sure how mature either are. Could be worth investigating.

ukoda

Postby ukoda » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 am

Mark wrote:Fair point.

I have also been looking at QT, http://qt-project.org/, recently as it's usage is on the rise. I see it also has support for Android and iOS but both are listed as "Technology Preview".

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 am

ukoda wrote:When Delphi lost the plot a few years back I switched to Lazarus, http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/, which I use for creating cross platform Linux, Windows and Mac tools. I see it also claims Android and iOS support but I'm not sure how mature either are. Could be worth investigating.

I did have a look at where Lazarus is up to with regard to Android and iOS support but it still looks like it's at an experimental stage...

Return to “Ultimate Dream Charger/Analyzer”