Ethernet Port

Discussion of ideas for your ultimate dream charger/analyzer
Mark
Site Admin

Ethernet Port

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:19 am

I've already mentioned this idea to Paul in the past.

The ATSAM3X8C has Ethernet built into it, so the additional cost of including the external hardware would be minimal. The hardest part would be adding software support.

If it could be done though, it would mean that the charger could be monitored/controlled from any network connected PC/Tablet/Phone. I think this would be a lot more useful than Bluetooth support!

InHisName

Re: Ethernet Port

Post by InHisName » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Even slightly more preferred by me is BlueTooth rather than ethernet port.
Then the app can be based on phones or tablets.
Could even leave out the LCD display and do extra fancy display in the app.
Could even have a csv save of raw data or even save to email (setup prior) and mail to yourself on desktop or such.

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Ethernet Port

Post by Mark » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 pm

As I mentioned before, you would still be able to control the charger from a phone through an Ethernet port - just via a WiFi connection instead of Bluetooth. This would also give a potentially much greater range than offered by Bluetooth.

I'm now thinking that instead of an Ethernet port directly on the charger, this functionality could be done on the PC connected to the charger via USB. This would be both easier and cheaper to implement in hardware and software. The PC software could then also aggregate multiple chargers through a single interface. The PC could act as a web server so that the charger could be monitored and controlled by any connected computer/tablet/phone with a web browser. It could also be controlled via a phone/tablet app if desired.