Would this slow drain damage an LSD battery - or good idea?

A place for general discussion of battery testing.
Benediction

Would this slow drain damage an LSD battery - or good idea?

Postby Benediction » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Discharging a regular Nicad battery below 0.9 at a very low discharge rate was determined to "renew" the cell capacity.
Something on the order of C/40 or C/50. This is the article on BatteryUniversity.

So...that goes for NiCad. But the article's title is "How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries". And NiMH is a nickel based battery, and so is LSD NiMH.

So the questions become, would this technique also work with non LSD NiMH and finally does it damage LSD NiMH or would it work there also?

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Would this slow drain damage an LSD battery - or good idea?

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 pm

I haven't done any specific testing with regards to this (although I have thought about doing testing)

Based just on my own anecdotal experience, I would say that slow deep discharging NiMH cells can help to reduce IR and improve capacity on cells that have developed high resistance. The improvement from doing this can be quite significant, but never gets the cells back to as new performance and the benefit is generally only temporary, so as such isn't really worth spending too much time on in my opinion.

I have also seen a number of cases where leaving NiMH cells deeply discharged for an extended period has caused increased internal resistance and reduced capacity, so I personally would recommend charging NiMH cells before storing them and definitely don't leave them shorted out or in devices that slowly discharge the cells even when the device is turned off.

Return to “Battery Testing Discussion”