Manager Software

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Manager Software

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:55 am

I've updated the UltraSmartCharger Manager software which you can download from the following link:
http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com/USCManager.exe

This program not only allows you to edit/save configuration files for use with both V1 (non LCD) and V2 (LCD) chargers, it also allows you to monitor and control your chargers in real time.

For V1 chargers, you will need an external FTDI adapter plugged into the bottom of the charger. For V2 chargers, the interface is built into the charger, so you only need a mini USB cable connected between your computer and the charger.

For V1 chargers, to use the utility without an FTDI adapter, you need to save your file as charger.bin on the SD card. If you delete the file and restart the charger, it will return back to the default settings unless you have previously set the option for "Reset Values on Restart" to No.

A few notes.

• With this utility, you can set charge rates of up to 2 amps. For high charging rates, you will need to solder on a header pin to supply extra current to the charger - otherwise it will reset shortly after charging starts
  • Although you can specify the discharge rate, this doesn't actually have any effect unless you set Discharge mode to "Internal" The V1 charger can't control current when using an external load.
  • NiMH settings also apply to NiCads - the charger doesn't differentiate between them as the charging algorithm is the same.

This configuration tool is mainly intended for more advanced users - If you're not sure what a setting is for, please leave it at the default setting. You're welcome to post questions here in this thread.

Jason.Kizer

Re: Configuration Utility

Postby Jason.Kizer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:08 am

When executing the EXE file it pops up an error box saying that it is not a valid Win32 application.

20/01/2014 - Update - File works. Something must have gotten messed up in the download.
Last edited by Jason.Kizer on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 am

I just tested it and it worked OK for me.

Perhaps try downloading it again?

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Mark, This Configuration Utility is really great! I was testing some stuff for the LCD charger and was using one of the non-LCD chargers plus this tool to simulate some things. Works perfectly! thanks for making it.

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Postby Paul.Allen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 am

Is there a way we could make the file a txt document or something that anyone on any computer could open up and then change the parameters? I know this would open up more opportunity to mess things up, but it would also open up more opportunity for use.

Something like

H Charge current: 1200mA // <- type in value in mA to set charge current
M Charge current: 700mA // <- type in value in mA to set charge current
L Charge current: 120mA // <- type in value in mA to set charge current
Rest time: 10 // <- enter time in min.

and so on.

you could even make it like:

H Charge current: 2 // enter number to set H charge current. 1=700mA, 2=1000mA, 3=1500mA, 4=2000mA

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:26 am

No - not with the way that it works - sorry!

I have had some thoughts about creating a web based version of the configuration utility - if anyone would be interested in a web based version, please reply to this topic to let me know!

In the mean time, I'm happy to manually create configuration files for anyone who contacts me. If there are popular configurations, I can attach them to the first post.

RLBrooks

Postby RLBrooks » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:46 am

I originally got interested in Paul's charger(s) because of the claim they would be smarter/better than other chargers. My other chargers are basically each stand alone devices and as far as smarts go, what you see is what you get; some are better than others. I was ass-u-ming Paul's would be similar; smarter on the inside but I didn't consider a version that could be tailored to my personal needs. Plus I'm not a battery expert so it is unlikely I could come up with different configurations than would(/should) come baked inside when it arrives.

Still, let's assume experience proves a change would be beneficial after I have received my charger. Such a *simple* txt configuration file would be convenient if I can create it via a standard pc/mac and supply it on a flash card. (The charger has a card slot doesn't it? I haven't been paying close attention recently.) I am not up to rebuilding any firmware to pickup needed changes. While configuration updates via usb driven from a web page would be acceptable I wouldn't want to have to keep it connected that way for normal use. (I want the charger to be stand alone, not chained to my mac, etc.)

Russ

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 am

There's certainly no need to keep the charger connected to the computer unless you're wanting to be able to monitor the charging/testing as it progresses.

Probably the main thing that most people would want to be able to change would be the charging current - pretty much all of the other configuration options would only be of interest to more advanced users. I might put together a selection of configuration files that can be downloaded and put onto an SD card to go into the charger so that it's easier to select a charging rate that you want.

BTW, updating the firmware is now relatively easy with the firmware updater that I've created - it does require Windows though:
http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 am

I've just added attachments to the first post to allow setting the charger for 1500 mA and 2000 mA charge rates. In both cases, you can set the charger in the slow position to charge at 1000 mA which should work on any USB port capable of supplying 500 mA.

Remember that to use these files, you just need to place the file on the SD card that you insert into the charger.

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Manager Software

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:41 pm

The Manager software has now had a major overhaul, including the ability to monitor and control chargers as long as they're running Version 0.900 firmware or newer.

Return to “Beta Testers”