Auto max recycle function: charge/discharge untill there capacity increase is < 10mAh

Discussion of ideas for your ultimate dream charger/analyzer
cj0

Auto max recycle function: charge/discharge untill there capacity increase is < 10mAh

Post by cj0 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 am

Instead of having a fixed number of "Charge, then Discharge, Charge" cycles, run it until the capacity this not increase by more then 10 mAh.

To make the even more ultimate: when the charger has not been used in the last 4-6 weeks (configurable interval, though this is a good default) instead of "charging", automatically run this "auto max recycle" program.

And to make the charger even more intelligent, store the date interval per "charge rate selection" (the high/medium/low) switch state. Instead of having a fancy expensive NFC reader wish, for remembering battery I'd prefer a low tech solution, in this case the rate switch allows to keep 3 sets of batteries apart from each other. I would allow the SmartBatteryManager to allow the charge/discharge parameters for each switch state, and configure each switch state with identical values.

And in an easy configuration, where nominal battery capacity is entered and all other values relate to that nominal battery capacity, I would suggest of default value for "until capacity no longer increases" to 0.005C (2000 mAh (@0.1C) battery capacity -> 10 mAh)

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Auto max recycle function: charge/discharge untill there capacity increase is < 10mAh

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:33 am

There may be some merit in having a feature to automatically cycle until the capacity stops increasing - I'll have a think about that.

I could be wrong on this, but I'd expect that most people that were interested in having such a smart charger would almost certainly have far more than 3 sets of batteries that they use, so I don't think that there would be much point in developing a feature to keep track based on the switch position.

What would be more useful would be to have PC software which automatically tracks cell capacities and use over time in a database - when a cell hasn't been charged for a while, it could automatically do a cycle check - if capacity is low, it could then do this type of cycling to try to bring the capacity back up to where it started.

MartinB

Re: Auto max recycle function: charge/discharge untill there capacity increase is < 10mAh

Post by MartinB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 pm

I already have another charger with such an auto cycle feature. It's sometimes very useful (just not when you need that cells charged fully the next morning).
Went into that trap with the USC as well: set it to discharge/charge but it aborted during the night due to 'high resistance'. Cells were drained in the morning.

Programmable presets may be useful for some; personally I'm fine with how things are solved via PC software right now.

A database storing all those logfiles would be great. (It needs a real time reference of course.) Imagine getting a chargehistory for that cell no.8 for the last year. Get parameter plots with charger settings as parameter. How much did capacity degrade over time? I maintain a rudimentary database for this manually, but it involves a lot of effort - this could be so much easier.